Saturday, November 21, 2009

Global Warming Skepticism is Being Vindicated

Those of you in my "circle of trust" (Meet The Parents) know that I'm a global-warming skeptic and have teased me about it. [Again let me be VERY clear- I'm not saying that there's NO global warming activity but I am skeptic of the claims behind the global warming movement -one being that it is human-caused] Anyway...this recent FoxNews article is finally showing a faint crack in the global warming worldview. I have at least 10 to 15 articles by scientists that are disputing the global warming hypothesis but I think you all will kill me if I list them all.  Suffice to say...being vindicated is nice.  Now... here's the interesting thing - when I do challenge folks on this with the scientific studies - I'm noticing another verbal engineering:  "I never DID say global warming - I meant Climate Change."  So I'm now hearing from folks that the real problem is climate change and it is also human cause. Geesh...this is a moving target! 

I'm usually not a skeptic but when it comes to weather theory - I don't know why I become a full-blown skeptic but there's a little history here...  I made one and only one "D" in my entire four years at college.  That "D" was in my Environmental Science course.  I made a HUGE faux pas by writing an editorial ,in my college newspaper (I was the Features Editor after all), debunking the Ozone Hole doomsday scenario.  My professor of Environmental Science happens to be a huge proponent of the Ozone Hole Doom and Gloom theory (OHDG).  Needless to say, he needled me in class but I was able to argue quite effectively with facts because I had done my research for my editorial.  I had visions of being David slaying the giant Goliath of such foolish notion of the OHDG theory...in reality it was more like Jolly Green Giant squashing a little ant and I was the ant.  On the Final Exam- I had one question (maybe two if I can recall) and it was an essay on the methodology and scientific proof for the Ozone Hole Problem. It was totally unfair!  First of all, the rest of my classmates had a completely different test - mostly 100 questions composed of multiple choices and maybe some essays but nothing like mine in which I had to answer the one question which I totally disagree with.  I wrote what I was convinced was true with established studies and quotes to back up my arguments.  Alas, I received an "F". If it weren't for the fact that I had A's and B's all semester long I would have flunk that class.  I went to the dean and complained and he was not sympathetic to my complaints. 

So maybe...just maybe I have a little personal baggage here.  So I will always be a skeptic when someone tries to predict the unpredictable using computer base models that could not even predict the weather the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment